Thursday, August 14, 2008

The prayers of a child

  Our nighttime routine has always been, in this order, Bible story, song, and prayer.  We've really been working on Grayson learning to say his own prayers.  Sometimes, this can be a hoot because you never know what he's going to say. However, sometimes it can be such an eye-opening experience.   Grayson usually prays first, then Dave or me, depending on who is putting him down for the night.  

When he first started learning to say his own prayers, they would sound like this, "Dear Lord, please help Daddy sleep, Mommy sleep, Grayson sleep, and Griffin sleep inside Mommy's belly. Amen."  Then, we felt like we needed to stress to him that we not only pray for ourselves, but other people.  The prayers transitioned to "Dear Lord, please help all of my family sleep and everybody else sleep.  Amen."  (Don't ask why the prayers were always about sleep.  I guess because it was before bed.)  Lately, we've been talking to Grayson about how there are people who don't know Jesus so it is very important that we pray for them.  

A couple of weeks ago, while my Mom was here, she took Grayson with her to Walmart so she could get her glasses fixed.  Apparently, the lady had an impact on Grayson because he prayed for her.  He said he wasn't sure if she knew Jesus or not.  SMART BOY! :)  Then, a couple of nights ago, his prayer started off with, "Dear God, thank you for all the stuff you're doing up there in the sky."  Now, anyone that knows me knows that this made me cry.  It was all I could do to get through my prayer.  However, my comic relief, also known as Grayson, quickly corrected me as I prayed that one day he would come to know God in an intimate way.  He quickly stopped me, "But Mommy, I do know God!"  SO ADORABLE!


0 comments: