Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Get out the bubble suits for your kids.....

Yes, you read it correctly.  This is what I want to do to my kids after hearing about the MTV Video Music Awards.  I didn't watch them, but it's really not hard from all the media to kind of figure out what went on.  It is sickening that our society is so drawn to these things.  AND frankly, it just scares me a little bit to have a glimpse into what my kiddos are going to be faced with as children and teens.  My kids still have years to go before they are faced with it, but it's only going to get worse.  After all, we thought it was bad 10 years ago when I was in high school.  I would definitely say things have changed since then.  I also teach sixth graders who know way more than I ever did about things at that age.  I know I'm rambling, but I guess I just want my kids to be kids that still have some innocence about them.  They don't need to know everything.  There is no need for my kid to be exposed to sex education in 4th and 5th grade.  That's right.  9 and 10 year olds learning about safe sex.  Should they even know what sex is?  Wow....I know I'm getting on a little bit of a soap box, but come on!  Anyway, I'll stop my rambling for now.  In the mean time, I came across a blog for a lady named Vicky Courtney.  This was her take on the VMA's.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That's so scary! I'm glad I have at least a few more years to prepare my self for that. It's amazing what my 8 year old neice knows about!

Kara Clayton said...

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!